Eve Online Addiction
Many video games, especially massively multiplayer online roleplaying games (MMORPGs) give people a feeling of godlike power and progress rapidly from a diverting hobby into a serious addiction. Addiction to a game like Eve Online can start as innocuously as downloading a free trial of the game, but addicts can see their lives spiral out of control as their online gaming fix becomes the single most controlling influence in their lives.
Eve Online is a hugely successful online sci-fi RPG which has been running for many years and has captured the imagination of many millions of players worldwide. Set in large and detailed sci fi universe, it draws players into adventures, online battles and intricate trading missions. Many people will sit alone in their rooms for many hours at a time, leaving rarely - if at all - to eat, drink or take care of other bodily functions. Sleep deprivation is common.
Symptoms of Eve Online Addiction
If you are concerned about the behaviour of someone you care about who may be suffering from an addiction to Eve Online?
- Do they seem happy or content while playing Eve Online but become angry or upset if they have to stop?
- Are they constantly talking about or distracted by Eve Online even during other things like work or family time?
- Do they seem to spend every free moment they have going online to play Eve Online?
- If you ask what they have been doing recently do they change the subject or try to "laugh off" their time spend playing Eve Online?
- Have you ever seen them getting up or still playing Eve Online at odd hours of the day, even in the middle of the night?
Eve Online is commonly considered a more sophisticated form of MMORPG which enjoys a devoted following amongst its scifi fan base who consider it to be "smarter" than normal dungeon-type RPGs like World of Warcraft. While it is possible for people to enjoy Eve Online without developing an addiction there is a significant risk amongst those who spend many hours playing. Although the monthly cost of the game is low and can even be free, addiction to Eve Online can destroy a person's work and family life by consuming enormous volumes of their time and cause them to neglect more important aspects of their everyday life, even up to such basic necessities as eating and bathing.
If you or someone you care about is having trouble breaking out of an addictive playing pattern with video games that you used to control but which now seem to control you, call our free advice line today on 08000 886 686 in complete confidence to see how we can help you get back on track.